Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Of Illustrators and Doctors


My quote hunting sessions often lead to very interesting encounters with extremely fascinating people. Today I trudged out of office not really in the mood for any serious conversation to talk about the my perceived death of reading. "The decline of reading" is my latest story idea.
I walked towards matteo my regular haven for quotes where people with diverse opinions are a real easy find.
Matteo also being a coffee shop is a nice place to chit chat over some of my banal topics. My picks are usually the people who stand out and today at the center table I saw two guys who were definitely turning a lot of heads.
I excepted a complete 'get out of my face woman' reaction but was surprised as to how warm they actually were. Marc Anthony a doctor from Chicago and Kalim a hotelier entertained me quite a bit with their life and views.
Marc anthony a doctor was in town to complete his thesis about diagnostic techniques in Indian hospitals.
"We have quite a few journals stating that most deaths in developing economies are due to infections caused in hospitals."
I was fascinated by that statement and rather surprised when he said that his study was restricted only to private hospitals.
When I asked why he had not included government hospitals, he stated as a matter of fact that it would be just way too controversial and he might not get his thesis if he spoke against the government.
I found that very strange.In times when people are overthrowing governments why an academician is scared to state the obvious is beyond me.
However I too couldn't pursue the argument more as I was unaware of the situation in government hospitals.
It does make for a good story idea though and I am contemplating taking it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment